Build certificate gaps

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Build certificate gaps
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:35:50 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
> << I just got my Build Certificate for the
Spitfire.....interesting
> observation
>  - the time lapse between build date (11/18/69) and
dispatch date (11/25/69)
>  ... 7 days .... is pretty quick turnaround compared to my
TR6 which had a 5
>  month lapse between build (7/76) and dispatch (12/76).
>
>  I guess the Spit's were selling fast in the fall of 1969
with no traditional
>  summertime factory strikes to slow down shipments to the
states!!??

Sorry guys - ain't none of that.
When the production indent was cleared by Production
Control, the line setting ticket worked eight weeks forward
to give an estimated production release date as to when the
car would leave the line. As soon as that information was
notified, the Export Shipping department booked space on the
next available vessel leaving Liverpool or Southampton to
the nearest port of discharge convenient to the ordering
wholesaler. Most times, the cars made it to the shipping
date deadline. Other times, the shipping company delayed the
vessel and sometimes there was a strike in any one of 'x'
number of different locations which screwed things up. Could
have been car delivery company drivers, factory strike, dock
workers strike, 'working to rule' which bascvially meant
no-one worked at all if they could help it. The importance
of the destination was almost immaterial. Demand for all the
cars grossly exceeded supply and we just sent them out by
whatever means possible. If they missed the boat, they
waited at the dockside and if they were a long time between
being finished and leaving the UK it was mostly because the
Letter of Credit in payment had a problem or problems on the
draw down clauses. Banks, as you'll well know can be a pain
in the butt - and those establishments in those days were
just as tedious as they are today. Hope this clarifies a few
grey areas.

Jonmac