Re: Frame-off restoration - Where to start?

To: Triumph_List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Frame-off restoration - Where to start?
From: Dan Scharpf <dfscharpf@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:19:21 -0800 (PST)
Steph,

Before you start tearing anything apart, you should get a camera and A
LOT of film. Take pictures of every part from every angle - when it's
together, and also when it's disassembled. If you're planning a full
frame-off restoration, the car will be in pieces for 2-3 times longer
than you think it will, and you will need these pictures when it comes
time to put things back together.

In addition to the still pictures, if you have a video camera, you'll
be in even better shape. I video taped the teardown of my MGB and now
that I've started putting things back together, it's been invaluable. I
sit the camera on the bench and watch it on the LCD screen, while I'm
re-assembling the parts. With the video, you can zoom in, you can get
all angles of the parts you're working on, and you can narrate it as
well. This comes in very handy when you're trying to remember how wires
and hoses are routed, and how your door mechanisms work. In addition to
this, buy some ziplock bags for your parts, and label EVERYTHING. After
a while many srews start to look the same, and you don't want to end up
with "extra parts".

Good luck and have fun!!

-Dan

77MGB - being restored
54 TR2 TS3590L - waiting for restoration