Re: Wire Wheels for TR-3A

To: bbrewer@lightspeed.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels for TR-3A
From: Tr3bob@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 19:31:53 EST
In a message dated 12/16/99 9:00:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bbrewer@lightspeed.net writes:

<<
      Things follow me home. I have recently acquired 8 original wheels for
 my TR-3A. All are 48 spokes. At present, I have steel wheels on the car (2
 TR-4 wheels, 2 TR-3 wheels and one TR-2 wheel). I've got questions:

 1. Is it worth the trouble to true up the original wheels and keep using
 them or is it just a pain and should I go to 60 spokers, bite the bullet
 financially and get it over with?

Bill,
Most of the restorations I've seen have 60 spoke wheels. My MGB has 48 spoke
wheels and, while they're 14", I've never had a problem with vibration after
the initial spin balancing.
Like all decisions that affect your cars driveability, it depends on your
driving style. I'm not an aggressive driver and my tires and wheels have been
on the car since 1993. If you drive hard or are overly aggressive in corners,
then go for the 60 spokers......can I have first dibs on the 48's though.

 2. In addition to the wheels, I got 4 nearly unused hubs and 8 knock offs
 (all for free!). I also got one worn hub that I intend to use to make a
 truing stand. Does anyone have a proven design for a truing stand? I found
 the truing instructions on the SOL website.

One of our club members made a truing stand. I'm not sure how he did it, but
you could make up a stand from a piece of angle iron. Make it long enough to
pick up the 4 bolt locations on a discarded vertical link. Take the vertical
link (bearings and all) and simply bolt it up. The horizontal leg could be
c-clamped to your workbench. Put the wheel on and you're in business (I
think). Did I over-simplify it?

 3. I've heard that the Dayton wire wheels are heavy. Is that a consideration
 about whether to keep using the original wheels?

I wouldn't think so. I think the differences in weight would be negligible
when considering the whole picture.

Bob Stahlbush
66 MGB RD GHN3L 78708
60 TR3A TS 81398L