Removing paint from rubber

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Removing paint from rubber
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:15:33 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Happy holidays!  I just purchased a '67 Spitfire that has the original steel
factory hard top.  About ten years ago, the previous owner had it resprayed
when he had the car repainted.  Unfortunately, the rubber gasket around the
glass was painted over as well.  My first inclination of course was to
simply buy a new gasket, but according to my Spitbits and Victoria British
catalogs, these seals are no longer available.  Though I live in San Diego,
CA and doubt that I'll ever have occasion to use the hardtop, I would like
to restore it to perfect condition nonetheless.  Once the rubber has been
given a coat of paint, am I just out of luck?  Or is there a way to strip
the paint without destroying the rubber beneath it?

Thanks!

Jeff
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3