Re: Removing paint form rubber

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Removing paint form rubber
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 12:16:01 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Barry Schwartz wrote:

> >When I did my '70 TR6, almost everything inside the engine bay and
> >all gasket had white paint from a really bad paint job. I found that using
> >finger nail polish remover  < snip >
> ******************************
> Just for everyone's edification, *most* nail polish remover is actually
> Acetone.  Much cheaper to buy a gallon at the local paint store, than be
> gouged with the price of a bottle of nail polish remover -
>
> Barry Schwartz (San Diego) bschwart@pacbell.net

I've found acetone and other strong solvents can dry out rubber parts.
Use it sparingly. After the paint is removed be sure to wash off any
remaining solvent and maybe treat the rubber with one of the Armor All
type products.

You can often flex the rubber part to crack auto paints and this will
help solvents penetrate better.

You might also try a product called "Goof Off", available at most paint
stores and better hardware stores. I've found it works very well with
many types of paints and isn't as harsh. Look for a yellow & red can.  I
don't recall trying it with automotive paints, but have removed old
dried latex and oil based paint from carpet, which is a pretty good
test. Besides, I like the name... that's marketing!

No financial interest, yada yada.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L