Starters/Alternators

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Starters/Alternators
From: DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 09:59:01 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"

I am now convinced that the best possible way to deal with starters and
alternators that have gone belly up is local rebuilds. When the starter on
the 73 TR6 started grinding a little and bogging two weeks ago I knew it was
time for a replacement. Checked around...list included... and the best
pricing semed to be about $165.00 US plus tax and shipping, core deposit and
return. Since I stopped driving the car so as not to get stuck somewhere
ungodly during the holidays time was not a great issue. So I removed the
starter two weeks ago Friday... dropped it off at the local rebuilder. Got
it back Monday last and back in that evening. All back to normal. Total cost
with a 2 year warrantee $110.00. Service included, new bushings, brushes,
solenoid, cleaning, painting. With the warrantee and no shipping of any kind
this just makes emminent sense. Most of the shops of this type have been
around an age or two and are generally very reliable.

Asked about rebuild on an alternator for my Jag XJ6, some slight
irregularities lately, while I was there and was told rebuild cost would be
about the same w/same warrantee. This baby is nearly $300.00 at best
usually.

Alas, all is not all kosher. looks like the dreaded slippage of the flywheel
starter ring has occurred on the TR, high speed grind at occasion which is
remedied by rotating engine just a bit by pulling the fan around, and will
require removing the starter, prying the ring back in place and a couple of
tack welds. Oh well...

Happy 2000,

Deano