What's that funny noise?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: What's that funny noise?
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 10:07:03 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
Sometime in October my TR6 began making a strange, subtle noise on
upshifting.  When I depress the clutch to shift from 2nd to 3rd (and then
again from 3rd to 4th) I hear a very slight "swish" or "pffft" noise
>before< I shift.  The sound happens when I depress the clutch.  I can't
tell exactly where the sound is coming from, but I associate it with the
transmission tunnel area.  It's not coming from the rear of the car, as in
a muffler or backfire type of noise, though I suppose can't rule out some
sort of exhaust sound.  It's loudest from 2nd to 3rd.  The clutch was
replaced about 9,000 miles ago, and the clutch fluid is topped up.  The
sound is associated with the sudden disengagement of the clutch---but I
don't hear it while going from 1st to 2nd---and it's not entirely
consistent.  Sometimes there is no sound, but usually there is.

Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com