TR-3 overdrive (fwd)

To: Richard Ryon <richryon@hotmail.com>, TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: TR-3 overdrive (fwd)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 16:02:00 -0500
Message text written by Richard Ryon
>Do you or any of your member have any advice on converting a non-overdrive

TR3 to O.D.? I would be interested if feasible.
Thanks, Rich
<

Yes, Rich, It is feasable, I've done it myself (on a TR6 trans).  Step 1,
disassemble the transmission.  This is necessary because the transmission
mainshaft needs to be replaced with one specifically for the O/D unit.  And
since you're in there you may as well rebuild the transmission.

The hardest part is finding an overdrive unit.  The mainshaft can be had
from Rimmer Brothers in England or other places but they are fairly scarce
and expensive.  If you have both of these things then the rest is straight
forward overhaul procedure with the obvious deviation on the rebuild.

Another option gaining in popularity is the conversion to a Toyota 5 Speed.
 Others on the list know more about that, though.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA