Weld Time-frame under trlg arm bracket nut?TR6-longish

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Weld Time-frame under trlg arm bracket nut?TR6-longish
From: "D. Michael Scott" <dms@snip.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 16:11:17 -0500
When reassembling the brackets & shims (before rear trailing arm
placement), I discovered some missing metal say at 4:00 and 8:00
location as you look at the inner frame member where the lower bracket
bolt is located.  In other words, the lower bolt goes through the
bracket and out toward the front of the car - and as it exits a Nyloc
nut goes, and this is where some metal is missing.  The frame members
have otherwise been welded and repaired throughout, but the welder
seemed to have missed these two  rusted out holes.  There is solid metal
below the bolt to the frame edge, and good metal all around the area of
the washer/nut, but I fear that if the metal below the nut loosens that
the lower part of this right internal bracket could pull out and the
trailing arm may bang about???

It looks like a minor metal fabrication/weld job, if it's necessary at
all, and I recently bought a flux core gasless welder.  I did notice
that there seems to be a solid hole support from one side of the frame
member to the other for the bracket bolt, lending a lot of support.  Any
suggestions about what to do, not do, or how to weld it, would be much
appreciated.  Sometimes I worry too much about details, but now I'm not
sure about putting the rear suspension back together.

Thanks for any comments,  D. Michael    '75 TR6