Re: TR6 block machining

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 block machining
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 08:20:33 -0500
Edward R. Purcell wrote:

> Jim,  As soon as I sent my message I realized that I had not mentioned
> that mine was a TR4 engine. (8 guides).  As for the line boring, my old
> bearings appeared to be evenly worn so I decided not have it done.  The
> guy at the shop asked and I said no, so I didn't ask about the cost.
>
> Ed
>
> Jim Davis wrote:
> >
> > Ed,
> >         The prices you quote are similar to what my shop charged, however
>the
> > charge to line bore the block for the bearings was $100. Anyone know if
> > I got used and abused on this charge? I've never had this done before so
> > I had no frame of reference. Their excuse for the charge was there was a
> > lot of metal to be removed and it was very labor intensive.
> >         And Ed, why just _eight_ valve guides?
> >
> > Jim Davis
> > Fortson, GA
> > CF38690UO 75 TR6
> > CF37325U  75 TR6

The TR-4 was designed to use cam bearings.  Ed's charge of $22 was probably
just the
cost of installing new bearings alone, no boring being required.  The TR-6 does
not
use cam bearings from the factory, but it is a very wise and popular upgrade,
therefore the block needs machining (line boring) to accept the bearings.
Jim's cost
of $100 is not out of line for boring and installation of cam bearings in the
TR-6
block.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars