Re: GT6+ Door Latches (actually doesn't!)

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GT6+ Door Latches (actually doesn't!)
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 10:18:42 -0500
john donohoe wrote:

> Of course, during my cold weather stint last night, I
> had to hold my door closed by hand (not really
> difficult except on sharp right-handers)
>
> The latch had been popping open intermittently this
> summer while on the road, and now it won't catch
> closed at all! Anybody else have this experience? Any
> tips for repair?
>
> thanks,
> John Donohoe
> '70 GT6+ KC81718
> http://messenger.yahoo.com

John,

If you slam the door really hard does it stay latched?  If so, first thing to
try is
to loosen the screws that secure the catch plate to the B-pillar and move the
catch
plate toward the outside of the car slightly.  Over the years, these gradually
slip
and can 'walk' too far in for the latch to complete it's operating cycle and
stay
closed.  Try moving it about 1/8" to start, then check the closed door fit for
flush.
If the door is proud of the fender, loosen the screws again and move the catch
further
back toward where you started.  You should be able to get the door to stay
closed and
have a good fit at the fender when you're done.

Good luck!

Cheers!

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars