trans. mounts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: trans. mounts
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 08:41:26 -0600
Cc: vafred@erols.com

Listers, I have a fellow T/R 3 owner call last night for info about a 64 T/R
4 tranny w/O.D. (type A) he wants to put in his "3", seems the tranny is
about 1/2" longer than the rear trans. mount, need some advice as to the
best & safest way to complete this project, (no the O/D is not for sale),
should the mounts be moved back the 1/2" and will this in anyway weaken the
frame set-up. Thanks. "FT"
Fred, I've installed a non-od TR4A transmission into my 3 and can verify what's
already been said, but in my case I was able to install with the original-style
mounts just by enlarging  the upper part of the mounting holes by about 1/2".
It was a tight fit, but works fine, made lots of hard mountain runs without any
sign of coming apart.  Additionally, you'll want to exchange the shift lever, as
the 4 is longer and will hit the console.