Re: Volvo J-Style overdrive transmission for 75 TR6

To: "D. Michael Scott" <dms@snip.net>
Subject: Re: Volvo J-Style overdrive transmission for 75 TR6
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 13:18:46 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Would anyone know if a used Volvo J-style overdrive transmission is
>completely
>interchangeable with a TR6 overdrive trans for later years.  The later
>years used the J style overdrive on gears 3 & 4.  Could you use it with
>some modifications??  Thanks, D. Michael

If you're asking about the overdrive unit itself --

You should have 0 problems swapping in the Volvo OD unit.  The unique
things of an overdrive transmission for any given car are the
transmission output shaft and the end unit which provides the adapter
for mounting and the output flange.  The overdrive part in the middle
is a standard part which the transmissions were designed around.

I used a J type overdrive from a Volvo 240 on my 77 Spitfire with no
problems.  Got the whole thing (with Volvo transmission, since the
guy couldn't get them apart!) for $100 at a salvage yard.  I had
thought that my cone clutch was worn out, when in fact it turned out
to be an incorrectly-installed roller clutch.  Swapped the Volvo
roller clutch in and all was well.

Overall, it's a good deal if you can find a unit which has not been
physically damaged in the wrecker yard -- there is very little that
will go wrong with the units mechanically, so used parts will often
be perfectly serviceable.

The fact that some transmissions have an OD that works in 4th only,
some in 3rd & 4th, and some in 2nd, 3rd & 4th, has to do with the
particulars of the car designers and the "lockout switches" on the
top of the transmission; again, the OD units themselves are no
different.

If you're asking about swapping in the whole Volvo transmission --

It is doubtful that it could be done without serious modifications to
your engine flywheel, back plate, starter, your car frame, possibly
even your tunnel cover.

Dan

Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, now with an O too. Runs & drives, but shakes
like crazy; needs new tires and a steering/suspension rebuild.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/gmachine/greenmachine.html

1957 TR3, TS15098L. Needs an O. Undergoing frame-off restoration begun 9/99.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/TR3/TR3.html

1988 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon. Gets me to work and back home again every day.
No home page. (go figure)