Re: TR6 rear suspension bushes

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 rear suspension bushes
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 09:36:30 -0500

Paul Mitchell wrote:

> Compliments of the season to the list!
>
> During the long weekend, and before my hangover tomorrow, I am trying to
> replace the rear suspension bushes on my 74 TR6. I am having a hell of a
> job unscrewing the bolts holding the driveshaft to the diff. Is it
> possible to replace these bushes without removing the hub and
> driveshaft, i.e. by just undoing the bottom of the shock, then removing
> the spring?
>
> Any other useful tips on this job? Also, while I'm in there, how do I
> adjust the handbrake?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Paul,

Some springs will come out with just the shock link removed, others will not.
It all
depends on the type of spring currently fitted.  By undoing the shock link,
you'll get
an extra inch or so drop until the axle itself hits the frame.  If you're having
trouble undoing the flange at the diff, try just pulling brakes apart and then
remove
the hub from the trailing arm.  Just let the axle come apart at the splined
joint.
These joints are key splined, so you can't mess anything up on reassembly, and
it's a
lot faster than trying to get all the axle flange bolts back in again.

Happy New Year!

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars