Re: Halogen bulbs

To: Tom Di Iulio <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Halogen bulbs
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:49:26 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Tom Di Iulio wrote:

>     but don't halogen bulbs get awful hot and if so, what's that going to do
> behind my dash (is that my new wiring harness i smell?). your thoughts/ideas
> would be appreciated.

Halogens are so bright because they burn extra hot- and they last a long
time because of some magic Physics thing that causes the boiled off atoms
of the filament to do an about-face and smack back into the element.

As such I highly recommend them for headlights (all our cars have
halogens, the TR4 gets 'euro'-spec Bosch H4)

For the dashboard, it is overkill.  If you really want to have bright
instrument lights, do three things:

-Replace the bulbs with fresh ones.  Clean the bulb holders when you do
that
-Make sure the inside of the gauges is still white.  If the paint is gone
or rusty, do some R&R in there (I used white-out to patch up the missing
bits in my speedometer)
-Remove the rheostat that is placed in the headlight circuit to cause pain
and anguish.  They probably are fine if you 'excercise' them once a week,
but mine had sat outside for 4-6 years and just barely managed to flicker
the lights.  Pulling it and jumping the contacts gives me nice bright
gauges.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm