Re: Judges, Concours, etc.

To: dncullig@us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: Judges, Concours, etc.
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 16:32:34 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 19-Feb-00 16:02:51 Eastern Standard Time,
dncullig@us.ibm.com writes:

> On the VTR Con-
>  cours Judging Form, it shows a "General Deduction" of 15 points (max)
>  for a "messy or unrestored undercarriage" and another "General Deduction"
>  of 30 points (max) for "messy or unrestored engine compartment", but I
>  see no other written guidelines for any other "general deductions".  Is
>  this an item that gets discussed at the Judges meeting prior to the Con-
>  cours?  Just wondering...

Dennis, that's a problem with any subjective judging.  They do discuss these
things at the judges' meetings.  And don't forget that it is a team of
judges.  One point, that should be noted, is that they try to judge all the
cars the same.  In my mind that levels the playing field.  The judges also
confer with each other about what they are doing both during and after the
judging.  So 15 or 30 points max means that whatever one car gets docked the
others will get docked pretty much the same for the same conditions.  My
experience is that the judges care about what they're doing and try very hard
to be fair across the board.

I have also noticed that the owners sometimes misconstrue what the judges are
doing.  I have watched judges conferring and owners completely missing what
is going on.  Example was when I listened to the judges talking about how few
points they should take off (and trying to keep the number down) and the
owner, standing at a distance, saying "Man, those guys are trying to figure
out how to screw me by giving me the maximum number of points off."  I heard
both converstions and it was amazing -- but a good lesson in human nature.
Cheers.

Art Kelly