Re: Sorry still on fuel pump

Subject: Re: Sorry still on fuel pump
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 16:10:42 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dave :

Moss P/N 378-530 contains the main diaphragm.  The "seal for diaphragm
shaft" they talk about being missing is a secondary seal, that is
supposed to help keep gas out of the crankcase when the main diaphragm
fails.  Have I mentioned that the main diaphragm usually fails by
becoming porous, not visible to the eye ?  The kit is only $21, and you
should be able to put it in in an hour or two, if the shipwright's
disease doesn't get you <g>

Water in the oil usually gives a very distinctive appearance, like a
chocolate milkshake, if you check it right after a run.  Although it's
possible for a head gasket to leak water into the oil, IMO the problem
is more often due to a cracked head or block.  A compression test would
only help if you happen to also be leaking compression into the water
jacket.  Try your local radiator shop, they should be able to both test
your oil for the presence of antifreeze, and pressure test your cooling
system.

Sorry, Stow is a bit far for me to visit <g>

Randall
59 TR3A
Lakewood, CA