Barry Schwartz' alternator problem

To: TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Barry Schwartz' alternator problem
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 09:50:10 -0400
Barry,

I accidentally deleated my response to you and I don't have your E-Mail
address so I am sending this through the list.

A typical auto battery has a 35 to 40 Amp-Hour rating so, on paper, you
should be good for about two hours at 15 to20 amps.  But just in case I am
offering the following suggestion:

I am assuming that you will be disconnecting the alternator output wire and
leaving the belt in place.  If so you can run until the voltage drops to a
critical level, stop, reconnect the alternator and let the engine idle.  A
discharged battery will have no trouble accepting  full alternator output.
If you drive this way keep the rev's down, or just let the car idle.  Run
this way for about 10 minutes max and then resume battery operation.

Park on a hill just in case.

Good luck

Dave