TR6 Brakes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Brakes
From: "G Spencer" <graham_spens@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:20:07 GMT
OK,
        Here's the scenario '70 TR6 with 80K on the clock. I bought this car as
parts car, but it's too nice!!  I drove her all summer last year while
working on my '73, but now I have a problem.  I have to press the brake
pedal to the floor to stop the car (I'm talking hard here), and even then
the car only stops slowly.  I have rebuilt the MC (it didn't look very bad,
no pitting, etc.)  flushed the fluid (or was that fluif) replaced with DOT
5.  Replaced the drum pads and actuators (whatever the proper term is, the
hydraulic thingies) ,put new pads on the front, and blead the system, same
problem, nothing has changed.  Very hard SLOW braking.  My thoughts are that
the brake lines are all toast, and I need to replace all the lines.  So, my
questions are, replace lines?  replace MC?  and just what is the booster
supposed to do (I thought it was to "power" the brake pedal) could this be a
problem?

Thanks in advance,

Graham Spencer

70 TR6
73 TR6

BTW the PDWA was leaking as well, a broken kingpin from my skateboard of 15
some years ago fixed it right up.  Just goes to show that even broken bolts
are worth saving sometimes (I keep trying to tell my wife that<grin>)