Paint chipping from steering wheel spokes

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Paint chipping from steering wheel spokes
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 09:50:00 -0700charset="Windows-1252"
A few months ago, I painted the bare metal spokes of a late-model TR6
steering wheel.  The flat black paint would match my '72 wheel and give me a
slightly smaller (later) wheel.  I sanded the bare metal with 400, then 600,
and finally 800 grit, then cleaned with lacquer thinner.  I sprayed on the
gray primer.  Then I sprayed the black top coat.  I allowed the wheel to dry
for several days.  When I tightened the bolts to put the wheel back onto the
hub, the paint---or rather the primer---immediately lifted off around the
bolts.  These bolts, of course, get covered by the circular rubber trim
piece that surrounds the horn push, so I didn't worry about it.  I just
figured the pressure of tightening the bolts was too much for the paint to
handle.

Now, however, a couple of very small chips have come off on the visible
spoke edges---and again, it appears as if the primer didn't adhere well to
the metal.  I'm guessing I'll have to do the whole thing over again.  But
what did I do wrong in the first place?

--Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com