Re: Paint chipping from steering wheel spokes

To: haldeman@accessone.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint chipping from steering wheel spokes
From: LaJoMor@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 16:25:10 EDT
Just a couple of thoughts here.
Not being a TR6 expert, isn't the wheel aluminum? Whether it is or not may
have something to do with the non-adherence of your primer. Echoing Randall
Young's suggestion...clean it and clean it again. The DuPont product sounds
good as is Eastwood's PRE, which I have used with great success.
However, I think the most important thing to do is to use a good self-etching
primer. I have used Sherwin-Williams AUTOMOTIVE FINISHES GBP #988 Self
Etching Primer. It states right on the can be used on bare steel, aluminum,
and stainless steel. So far I have only used it on bare steel.....it is
bulletproof. It is also the only type of primer (SE) that will prevent rust.
It's expensive but you won't have to redo anything!
Larry M.
TR250 in Colorado