Re: Tools for body sheet metal?

To: "David Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "Cliff Hansen" <hansenc@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Tools for body sheet metal?
From: "Paul J. Burr" <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 22:27:11 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>
To: "Cliff Hansen" <hansenc@flash.net>
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2000 9:45 PM
Subject: Tools for body sheet metal?> I thought the right tool was aviation
snips, but I don't own any of these
> either (yet) and its been many years since I did anything like this.
>
> What's your advice?  Thanks.
> Cliff Hansen
> <
>
> Dremel tool!
>
> Dave

Whoa! A dremel is fine for cutting rusted bolts, but large scale body work?
It will take you a week to cut out a couple of square inches. If you have
and air compressor, get an air powered cut off tool. there are 2 types- the
rotary that uses 3" disks- looks like a giant Dremel. The other is air
powerd tin snips, much faster than the hand powered kind.
Visit my Tiger web page
http://users.ids.net/~tigerpb/tiger_pages/Page_1x.html to see the amout of
rotten metal I removed using these tools. Clean, accuate and fast!
My favorite quick and dirty method- an electric jig saw with a metal cutting
blade. It's rude and crude, but effective. I cut the entire cowl forward
sheet metal off of a very rusty TR6 in about 2 hours using a jig saw and my
rotary air cut off tool.

Paul (The Ripper) Burr