Re: Inner Sill

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Inner Sill
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 20:48:08 -0400
Ct54531@aol.com wrote:

> A few days ago I asked about the shape of the inner sill at the rear in a
> lighthearted sort of way. But I really need to know if it's ever necessary to
> cut the sill length wise. The sill itself (Moss Part 855-230) is the right
> length but if I line up the jog/angle down which is just at the front of the
> door opening (A-post) the front edge of the sill is past the firewall and the
> rear edge is short of the wheel well by the same amount. If I push the sill
> rearward so the front and rear edges are flush, that jog I mentioned isn't
> lined up.
> And I really would like to know why the rear end is shaped as it is. There
> must be a reason for the angle of the flanges, the sloping up of the bottom
> lip, etc.
> TIA
>
> Jim
> CT54531L
> 65 4A

Jim,

The rear of the sill slopes up the way it does because the part you have is
really meant to fit a TR-4A/TR-6.  On the IRS models, the rear of the floor is
raised up slightly for clearance to the trailing arm.  On the TR-4's, the floor
is flat in this area - hence your gap.  Best bet is to cut out the sloping
flange
and fab up a new piece in that area that fits the floor tight.

About the panel being too short, I find that's usually the case with inner and
outer rockers - just poor stampings I guess.  Usually, when I do them they come
up between 1/8" to 3/16" too short to fit properly.  I cut them in two and weld
each end where it should be then weld up the gap in the middle.  If your less
than expert with your welding to attempt to fill such a gap, you can lap-join a
2" piece in from the backside to make it a little easier.  Inner panel can be
split anywhere in the door opening.  Outer rocker is a different story.  Best
place for the seam is right at the tail edge of the front fender, there you can
grind it back smooth and blend it into the body line where the panel becomes
exposed from behind the fender.  Be sure to partially hang the fender first and
set the step in the rocker for a nice gap with the fender.

Good luck!

Brian Schlorff
Power British
http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars