Dayton British Car Day 2000

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dayton British Car Day 2000
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 22:50:35 -0500
Greetings Listers

OK, here is some news for those of us who weren't able to go to
Portland.

I just got back from a terrific local car show in Dayton, Ohio and
wanted to share it will everybody. A beautiful day, great cars, great
people, and terrific setting. All thanks to great sponsors, the Dayton
MG Car Club and the Ohio Miami Valley Triumphs.

I didn't get a chance to meet any list members although I did see a
great looking red TR4 with a list sticker in the window. I guess the
owner was out looking at the great selection of British cars.

It did locate 2 beautiful  TR250's. One was a red model with a surrey
top, Weber Carbs and a terrific sounding exhaust system. The other car
(BRG) was owned by Ron Holik who came in all the way from Long Island,
NY. I am looking for a TR250 myself and we discussed one I had found in
Cincinnati that had been taken apart by a PO who unfortunately passed
away after he had disassembled the car down to the frame! The current
owner assures me that all the parts are there. I don't know about you
guys but try as I might, every time I take something apart I always end
up with either spare parts or something missing! The story is that the
rear suspension is all rebuilt and reassembled to the
sandblasted/painted frame. The front suspension is partially
reassembled. The PO showed me a huge room with parts everywhere and
said, "here is the rest". The current owner wants $2500.00 as is. What
do you guys think? I haven't seen the tub yet but I'm told there is
little rust.
Anyway, back to the show. I would say that over half the 200 plus cars
were non Triumphs. There was a very good showing of TR3's, 4's, and 6's.
By the way, I didn't realize that the '68 TR6 ignition switch is in the
dash and not under the steering wheel. Much more sensible...
While talking to Ron, I met another TR250 owner, Dale Drew. Dale has two
TR250's which are in the process of being restored. I told them both
about the Triumph list and they are going to check it out.

Thats' all for now.

PS If anybody is close to the Evansville, IN area, there is a British
Car show there Aug. 16. I can get more details if anyone is interrested.

Dave Connitt
No I don't have a car yet