25K TR 250

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: 25K TR 250
From: "Gerald M. Van Vlack" <jerryvv@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:10:23 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Fred,
I agree with everything you said regarding a cars value and offers that
don't match an owners perceived value. I disagree however, with your
statement as to the Black 25K, TR 250 being a nice car but not a show
stopper. That car is a show stopper and may well be "one of a kind". I
looked at the car very closely on Sunday and I did not find a flaw. While I
am not a 250 expert I suspect that the car is an accurate representation of
originality, just restored beyond anything the factory ever built. Do you
know of any flaws or something that is not as original on that car or is it
just your opinion?
I have no interest in the car and only met the man who built it on Saturday.
To say that the work he did to that car made it just a nice car does not
give credit to the effort he put into it. The fact that it changed hands for
25K is another matter. Someone wanted to pay that much for the car and did.
Good for both of them, they got what they wanted out of a deal.
I would venture to say that most of the beautifully restored cars on
Philadelphia Ave in Indiana on Sunday have more money invested than could be
reasonable expected to be realized from a sale. Again a matter of personal
choice.
I have no knowledge of the TR 6 you refer to. What sets it apart from the
pack or for that matter the 250?
My personal opinion is that no Triumph is worth 25K except perhaps the
LeMans cars that Charles has and any other factory racing or rally cars that
are still around and are truly collectors items.
Jerry Van Vlack
TR 4A
CTC 69150LO Driver on the road since purchased in 1969.