Re: TR3A Front Grille

To: "John T. Nichols" <jtnichols@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Front Grille
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:52:18 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Justin Paxton <justin@bexel.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu
If the front apron has ever been damaged, it is likely that the correct
curvature for the top lip has not been properly recaptured.  This was a
pretty common problem with most body shops in the old days.  They would
simply force the grill to make it fit.  This was particulary easy since
the grill is only stamped aluminum.

Cheers.

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, John T. Nichols wrote:

> For what it's worth the grill from my '58 TR3A is exactly 8" vertically
> at center and is unbowed. It fits up straight with only a little
> fettling. I have no idea if it is original but was on the car when I
> acquired it in 1982.
>
> John T. Nichols
> '58 TR3A TS32093L 'O'
> '86 TVR 280i
>
> Justin Paxton wrote:
> >
> > Looking for an original front grille for a TR3A in excellent shape,
> > polishable, or bead blastable.  Important dimension top to bottom through
> > the center needs to be close to 7 1/2".  The new ones from Moss are 8 1/4
> > and don't fit worth a damn.
> > -THX: Justin

James A. Ruffner