No TR content- Torque

To: J&E <ebk@buffnet.net>
Subject: No TR content- Torque
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 11:44:41 -0400
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by J&E
>       Question: If I put a torque wrench on a 'nut' would I get a
different
reading then if I put it on the head of the bolt?
        How would you be able to measure this acuretly? -Cosmo Kramer
<

Remember Newton's second law.  (or is it his first?)  For every action
there is an equal and opposite reaction.

That said the answer is no, you would not get a different reading.  That
is, if the bolt can turn freely in what ever it is passing through.  If the
bolt is bound up the binding will provide some of that "equal and opposite"
torque and you could get a false reading if you measure the bolt.  So to be
on the safe side use the nut unless it is not convenient.  If it is not
convenient then ensure that the bolt is free to turn and torque it.

Dave Massey