Re: TR6 headlamps

To: Frank Boothroyd <fboothroyd@northatlantic.nf.ca>, triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 headlamps
From: Sandy Levine <slevine@toucan.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 20:52:39 -0700
Frank - I only received one reply regarding upgrading to halogen sealed
beams for my 70 TR6. I am still torn on going for the 60/55 watt or the
60/40 watt. The 60/40 should definitely be safe without any mods. The UK
offered an option of 60/50 other factory set-ups offered a 60/45 so I
thought I might chance it but an under hood fire can ruin your whole day or
for that matter if you have the headlights on, your night.

here is the only reply I received.
    Two. First, why do require more power? Do you typically overdrive the
lights you have now? Remember, you look out the windshield at the
lighted road, but the people in the other lane get them right in the
eyes. The brighter they are, the worse it is for them. If it's not
necessary for your own safety, don't do it, and if you do, make sure
they're aimed correctly. My own preference is to leave the standard
headlamps and to add in, with relays, driving lamps of higher power when
the high beams are on. That way, when the headlamps are dimmed, the low
beams don't overpower the oncoming drivers.

Second, if you increase the wattage of the headlamps, the current
requirements of the wiring and fusing should be upgraded. It's a
seemingly small difference, but should be considered, especially since
the Lucas harnesses are generally on the ragged edge of being acceptable
for stock equipment.