Re: TR6 headlamps

Subject: Re: TR6 headlamps
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 20:22:28 -0700
Cc: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sandy :

I must have missed, or misunderstood, your original post.

IMO, if you are driving the legal speed limit at night in an unlighted
area, you _are_ outdriving the stock US spec headlamps.  The headlights
those dim bulbs at DOT stuck us with are more suited for the speeds of
the 1930s.  More candlepower, better focused, is definitely a good
idea.  The comment about having it properly aimed is well taken.

I use non-seal beam reflectors and H4 lamps in varying powers on all my
cars.  At the moment, the bulbs I like best are 60/55 Narva "Super
White".  '510mike' sells a pair of 7" round reflectors and the super
white bulbs on eBay usually for around $55.  Took a little work to fit
the reflectors to my TR3A, they aren't quite as thick at the mounting
points as the original seal beams, but other than that I'm quite happy
with them.  They do a wonderful job of lighting the road without
blinding oncoming traffic on low beam, and really light up the night on
high beam.  They actually seem to do a better job than the 100/80
halogens I was using before.

Note that, while the US federal restriction has been dropped, it may
still be illegal to retrofit in some areas.  I live in such an area
(California) but I've never even had an officer comment about my
headlights.

The wiring is identical between high and low beam, so low beams up to 60
watts _have_ to be OK.  IMO the wiring and fuses are fine, it's the
Lucas switches that are marginal.  One solution (which I use and
heartily recommend) is to install relays, one for high, one for low.
JCW sells a high power (40 amps!) relay with harness for about $8 ...

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver