Re: Scary Brakes , Hydroplaning :TR4 , British and American Sports/GT

To: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: Re: Scary Brakes , Hydroplaning :TR4 , British and American Sports/GT Cars
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 21:19:17 -0600
Cc: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>, triumphs@autox.team.net, staffel@home.com

Brian Sanborn wrote:

> Sherman,
>
> Thanks for sharing your experiences. It makes me feel better to
> hear someone else that saw this symptom as clear as I did.
>
> I have decided to move up the front brake rebuild.  I was
> planning a front-end rebuild this winter... but based on all the

When clearing out old messages, I ran across this, and thought I would
mention one more item about setting and adjusting wheel bearings. When a
new set of bearings and races is installed, it's important to make sure
that the races are set properly. Even if they are driven into place with
a seal/race driver set, they may not be seated completely. The procedure
to make sure they are is simple--after the hub, bearings, seals and
retaining hardware are installed, the retaining nut should be tightened
to roughly 50-60 lb-ft torque. If the bearings and races are properly
lubricated beforehand, this will not cause any damage to the rollers of
the bearings or to the races. Then, loosen the nut, turn the wheel and
hub ninety degrees and tighten again. This will insure that the races
are properly centered and located in the hub. After that procedure, the
normal wheel bearing adjustment procedure can be followed.

If this is not done, there's a chance that road shocks and cornering
forces will seat the races after adjustment, and the effective clearance
will be looser than what was determined upon assembly.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM