TR memory related to 'Pools of Water, Flooding '

To: "'Barry Schwartz'" <bschwart@pacbell.net>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR memory related to 'Pools of Water, Flooding '
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 12:42:21 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi Barry,

Your note reminded me of a TR memory, so I'll share this one with the list
too!

One summer morning, after a particularly heavy downpour from Oklahoma
Thunderstorms, I was on my way to work at 6AM, dressed in white jeans and
white shirt, as I was working at the local hospital. I got a call earlier,
and was asked by a co-worker to pick her up, as her car wouldn't start (yup,
an MG).

So on the way to her apt. complex, in an area of town I wasn't that familar
with, there was this street to cross. The streets in Norman, Oklahoma (Univ.
of Oklahoma)not having drain sewers- just 'dips' at the crossroads to carry
the water away, alll the way to the S. Canadian River, about a mile away.

 So, It's a beautiful morning, the top is down, I'm in 'dress whites, and I
approach this intersection. I see water across the road. Well , no big deal
I thought The roads'dip', how much water could there possibly be?
As I move into the water, the car starts to go/roll down the dip, no brakes,
the fan starts splashing water under the bonnet- so much I could hear the
spray, and the car dies. Then the floorboard starts to weep water- and then
the water comes from the rocker sills (so much for factory weatherstripping-
The water was so deep-'high', it even started coming in through the trans
cover mounting area at the floorboard.

Since the car would not start, I opened the door- more water came in.
Quicker than I can write this, the water flooded the leather seats, (excuse
me leather seat surfaces).  I eventually had to push the car back, and then
open the floor plugs (you know the ones suppose to be , we all thought in
those days, just for the frame jack) to drain the car. Once pack on solid
pavement, I wiped the distributor our and she started right up. Yes, I
checked the oil for signs of ater- but the felt seal, soaked with oil
actually kept water out.

Needless to say, I didn't go to work that morning; instead, I drove home,
changed clothes, and spent the morning drying up and protecting 'my baby'.
Fortunately, it was a 105^ day, and by afternoon- all was dry, except the
seats. Needed towels for days.

On the positive - That's when I learned about the importance of 'leather car
products'.
On the negative - I also learned how the cheap factory 'cardboard'
transmission tunnel looses its paper mache shape. All in the TR memories!

Sherman

Sherman D. Taffel
Columbia Md
TR4 (My Favorite Toy)