TR7 BFH #3

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH #3
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 21:02:31 EDT
Making progress.  Took off clutch and flywheel and got engine mounted to
engine stand.  I was just about to release the engine from the winch when I
remembered my cousin's last words about the engine stand -- "make sure you're
using #8 bolts to hold the engine!"   Of course the bolts I got at Home Depot
were #2, so I made a quick switch and hopefully have prevented the engine
from crashing to the floor.

Observations so far.

1.  Yeah, some serious scratches on the crank on #1.  I can already imagine
the look I'm going to get at the machine shop.... "Bub, you shouldn't even be
allowed to sit in a sports car, much less work on one..."

2.  The exhaust manifold is broken where one of the three bolts that connects
the manifold to the down pipe is located.  Can I get by with using two bolts?

3.  The AC doesn't work in the car, and I think I'm just going to yank the
compressor, hoses and AC radiator out so I'll have some more manuvering room.

4.  There was oil on the back side of the flywheel, and when you look at the
rear of the crankshaft coming through the rear oil seal, it looks off center
-- pushing down on the bottom of the seal.  I guess that could be because I
have the main caps off, but again I wonder if the chain is pulling up too
hard in the front.  Will see what I find when I open up the chain cover
tomorrow.

5.  Clutch looks like it has worn evenly, but it is about 1/8" away from the
rivets.  What's the prevailing consensus -- replace pressure plate and clutch?

I'm faithfully numbering and marking everything, including how the flywheel
attached to the crank.  But there sure are a heck of a lot of bolts in
Baggies already!

Stay tuned.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC