TR7 BFH #4-b

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH #4-b
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:48:38 EDT
Well, I'm learning slowly.

I was staring at the crank shaft sitting on the dining room table (yes, I put
newspaper down!), while commenting to myself, "Gee, isn't it interesting that
the crankshaft surface where the rods attach is completely smooth, and where
the main caps go the crankshaft has all these ridges and grooves ---  a few
more minutes of staring and I begin to think -  "Wait a minute, the grooves
where each main cap goes are different at each location on the crankshaft --
what gives?

Yep, the parts of crankshaft where the mains attach are full of ridges and
grooves, so much so that when I first looked at it I figured this was
normal!....  The grooves are so bad that there is an inverted version of the
oil groove in the bearings on the crankshaft as well, and I thought that was
normal too....

So, with that much wear, something went wrong somewhere at some point.
Ideas?  And why would the parts of the crank that attach to the rods look so
good, and the place where the mains attach look so bad?

Anyway, I may very well be in for a new crankshaft.  So, anybody got one on
the cheap, or know where I can get one on the cheap?

As usual, thanks!

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC