Re: vacuum advance (Why have it?)

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: vacuum advance (Why have it?)
From: "Paul J. Burr" <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:53:16 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2000 8:49 PM

> The vacuum retard was a US-mandated emission control feature.  It is
active
> only at idle.  Not having it may cause your idle to be too high.  Note
that the
> dynamic timing figure given assumes the retard is active, so if the retard
is
> not functional, you need to use the 'static' timing figure (which ISTR is
about
> 10 BTDC), even when setting timing dynamically (with a timing light).
>
> Randall

OK, here's one for the collective.
I've got a '74 TR6 with the retard only dizzy. The engine has Weber
downdrafts and the vacum line for the distributor piped directly to the carb
vacum port. My question is, was there some sort of bleed off valve that
enabled the retard at idle only?
Should I remove the vacum line and plug the port just to see what happens?
Paul Burr