TR-4A: How to replace fan belt ???

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-4A: How to replace fan belt ???
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 10:29:54 -0700
     I'm trying to replace the fan belt on my '66 solid axle TR-4A after
replacing the timing chain.  The space between the steering rack tube and
the hub extension above seems way too narrow to get the belt through.

    I see three possibilities, none of them good:

1. Remove the steering rack
2. Remove the hub extension
3. Loosen the motor mounts and raise the engine

    Neither of my manuals mentions this problem (they're both for TR-4's),
but they do mention interference with the support tube that goes across the
top of the hub extension.  This, however, does not seem a problem in my car.
     It boggles my mind that anything as likely to be replaced as a fan
belt would require this level of effort.  If anyone has any suggestions for
making this job easier, I would appreciate them.
     Thanks.

John Cowan

     Forward this review to a friend.  To subscribe, send email to:
jfcowan@pacbell.net.  Check out previous reviews at:
http://home.pacbell.net/jfcowan