RE: Gaskets & Such

To: Triumph Newsletter <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gaskets & Such
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 20:42:09 -0700
Justin :

Although I'm a firm believer in anti-seize, I wouldn't use it on the various
tapered connections, including the hub to axle.  Those tapers are there for a
reason, they are designed to lock solid.  (In fact, the angle of the taper
controls how tight the lock is.)  Having the hub able to 'work' on the axle,
even the slightest amount, will surely ruin both of them.  There is, of course,
a special tool used to pull the hub that I hear works better than just stuffing
it in a press.

I used Hylomar (not HPF) on my homemade cork fuel tank sender gasket, and
Permatex high-temp (red) RTV 'form-a-gasket' on the diff cover (no gasket).
 Both seem to have held up very well for many years.  The Hylomar just gets
smeared on the gasket in a thin layer, both sides, and bolted up almost
immediately.  Once dry, the Hylomar is fairly impervious to gasoline.

For the RTV, make sure both surfaces are completely free of oil (unless you
don't want it to stick to one side, which can make it easier to remove but more
prone to leaks) by wiping with a cloth and solvent.  Apply the RTV in a thin
even coat to one surface, and wait for it to 'skin' before bolting the cover on
just finger tight.  After a few hours for the RTV to harden, you can torque the
bolts to spec (which ISTR is still pretty low, like 10 ft-lb).  Note that you
have to be careful with RTV around the engine, since it likes to form long
strings inside the cover, which can fall off and block oil passages, etc.
 However, there should be no problem with a differential.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver