Questions regarding recent ZS rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Questions regarding recent ZS rebuild
From: Paulwillou@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 13:06:52 EDT
Just finished rebuilding my 64 TR4 Strombergs.  Very easy, I would be
surprised if there were more than 10 parts in the kit.  Although, the tune up
was time consuming.

Wow, what a difference.  No more gas leaks.  No more rough idle.  When warm,
it idles right at 850.  Smooth.  Highly recommended to all.

However, it isn't perfect.  I notice that sometimes, when I let up on the
accelerator, after hard acceleration, the RPM continues dropping until the
car almost dies.  I have to feather the gas a little to get it going.  My
guess is that it isn't getting enough gas.

I have 10-40w in the dampers.  The pistons drop completely down on the choke
bridge with a little clink, (before filling dampers), so I think the needles
are adjusted properly.  The floats are set at 18 mm.  (@.71").

However, my fuel pump is very old and in need of a rebuild.  I also installed
a Purolater clear glass in-line fuel filter and it never seems to fill.  The
filter doesn't fill up more than about a quarter full, and not always that
much.  Could the old fuel pump be starving the carbs?

Also, the old float needle valves had 3 big outlet holes.  The new one, only
had 2 smaller holes.

Any ideas from the list would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Willou
1964 TR4
Torrance, CA