Old vs. new tappet/lifter delta

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Old vs. new tappet/lifter delta
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 15:59:29 -0400
I just received a set of new lifters from British Parts Northwest. After
speaking with (?) there, I elected to go with the heavy duty ones, since
they have a hole in the side which makes since to me.
So they get here and look very different from the ones that came out, which
look chrome plated. These are phosphated.
What is phosphating? The surface doesn't seem as smooth - is so that oil
can "hang on" better? I normally equate rougher with more wear, which I do
not want.
Jim