TR7 BFH #6

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH #6
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 00:38:31 EDT
The continuing saga of the TR7 bearings from hell.  When we last saw our
hero....

The crank won't be ground till Monday, and it's apparently a toss-up as to
whether it will be done at .010 or .020.  I figure we're about 1/3rd through
the project so far, and some random questions have come up I'd like to pose
to y'all:

1.  I took the oil pump off today.  Like the crankshaft, it is also is
scored/grooved -- in this case where the outer "star" gear rotates around the
oil pump body -- leading me to further suspect that sometime in the past
something disintegrated in the engine, spreading metal parts throughout the
oil system.  Anyway, is this type of wear significant in terms of the oil
pumps ability to pump oil?  I ask in ignorance since I really don't
understand exactly how the two rotating gears are able to pump oil.  I'll
also check the wear between the two "star" gears.

2.  I thought I would take the distributor out to clean it.  Since I already
have the timing chain off and will have to make sure the crank, cam and
distributor are all in the right position when I put the chain back on, can I
take the distributor off without bothering to mark its location?

3.  I know what the clutch alignment tool is for when re-assembling the
clutch, but Victoria British also sells a locating dowel.  What is that for?

4.  Moss, TRW and Victoria British don't carry the o-ring that goes between
the pump and the pump cover. (they do carry the one between the pump and the
block)  Any ideas of who else might have this part?

5.  I'm going to take a look at the transmission tomorrow, and I know the
rear engine mount is totally soaked.  Any obvious gaskets/seals to replace
while the transmission is out of the car?  How about putting in a new oil
pump kit just for safety?

6.  I'm also going to look at the steering which is really tight  -- always
has been since I bought the car three months ago.  I know in my old VW that
stiffness in the steering could be a sign of someone having tightened the
adjustment bolt in the center too tight, sometimes to make a worn rack and
pinion feel better.  So, what to look for in a TR7?

Am working to get some pictures up on the net.  In the meantime, as usual,
thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

You know, if the engine blows up after we put it back together, how about
turning the TR7 into an electric car?....

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC