RE: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! TR3 windshield install

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! TR3 windshield install
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 11:03:24 -0400

Disclaimer:  I do not know the specifics of the TR3 windshield & seal.  The
comments below apply to the typical roped in windshield / backlite as found on
most older vehicles (prior to the glass being bonded in place on current
vehicles).

Did you use a lubricant on the seal to make it slide over the the windshield
pinch weld flange?    I have used WD40  and dishwashing liquid soap at different
times in the past with success.    I assume that you are using a cord (I have
found that cheap cotton clothes line cord has a good diameter and is less likely
to cut the seal than a small diameter string) in the windshield seal to pull it
over the flange.
----- Forwarded by Aribert Neumann/TROY/DecomaESE on 10/09/00 10:53 AM -----

From: Gbouff1@aol.com
Subject: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! TR3 windshield install

I tried for the second time to install the windshield in the frame for my
TR3A.  And for the second time, I ripped the gasket. I also noticed that the
windshield seems a little small for the frame, is this typical?

Is there anything out there besides the rubber/tar like seal that TRF sells?
Can I use a black silicon or something similiar.  If anybody has an alternate
suggestion or a proven technique to install the windshield please let me know.

As you can tell by my questions, I'm quite frustrated with this problem.  I
may just pack it in and bring it to an automotive glass installer.

Gary Bouffard
59 TR3A TS 58399 (needs glasses)