Re: Damper Dipstick Length on Zenith Stromberg Carburetors

To: gsapile@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Damper Dipstick Length on Zenith Stromberg Carburetors
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:45:04 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 13-Oct-00 12:06:10 Eastern Daylight Time,
gsapile@yahoo.com writes:

>  Our '66 TR4A has a pair of ZS carburetors.  When checking
>  the fluid level in dashpots, I noticed that the "dipsticks"
>  are different length in the two carburetors.  One is almost
>  3/8" (1cm) longer.
>
>      Are they supposed to be different lengths?
>  Does it matter?

No they should be the same.  It might be a problem becuse the amount of
damper oil would be different.  Then again it might not be enough of a
difference to matter.  How is the car running?  If it runs OK I wouldn't
bother with replacing the damper.  Just keep the oil topped up.  If you want
to replace one or both try the "big three (TRF, Moss or VB)."

FWIW - My ZS's measure 2 13/16ths inches from the top of the plastic to the
tip of the damper (2 1/4 inches from the bottom of the plastic cap to the
tip).  Cheers.

Art Kelly