Re: TR6 dying under acceleration

To: randallyoung@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: TR6 dying under acceleration
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:20:52 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>  "Robert M. Sexton" wrote:

>  > One session, however, after heavy cornering and then acceleration, the
car
>  > sputtered out on me and acted as if it was not getting fuel...
>  > This morning, however, a similar thing happened.  I warmed the car up, it
>  > idled fine, took it out of the garage, and raced down the hill and up the
>  > other hill.  However, it again acted as if it was not getting fuel....
>  > The car idles fine but dies under load and acceleration.
>  >
>  > The fuel tank and lines were replaced a year ago.
>  >
>  > Any suggestions --- fuel pump, carburettor, fuel filter, ignition,
>  > etc.????  How to diagnose???

Randall replied:

> Bob :
>
>  Get a fuel pressure gauge (most manifold vacuum gauges will also read
>  fuel pump pressure) and 'tee' it into the fuel line at various points to
>  isolate the problem. ...
>  For a "shotgun" approach, I'd start by inspecting
>  the inside of the tank through the filler, then replacing all of the
>  soft fuel lines, especially from the tank to the body.  If your car
>  still has the anti-runon valve, I'd also try disconnecting it as a test.

Bob, sounds like good advice from Randall. But might I suggest simply
replacing or bypassing any inline fuel filters first? Cheap, and it's very
common for a partially clogged filter to cause exactly the problems you
describe. Also, blowing back through the fuel line (low pressure, even --
yecch -- your mouth, should be more than enough in most cases) and trying to
watch and see if anything comes out at the tank (or in the tank). Even if
your lines and tank are fairly new, it doesn't take much to clog things up.

Many years ago I spent much time trying to diagnose a problem with a '71 TR6
that ended up being a wad of gum wrapper foil floating around in the tank. It
was just big enough to occasionally block most or all of the outlet in the
tank. What a pain!

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register