TR6 dying under acceleration

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 dying under acceleration
From: "Robert M. Sexton" <sexton@starmark.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 23:09:23 -0400

My 1976 TR6 only has 33,400 miles on it.

Two weeks ago, I put about 160 miles on the track at VIR
(http://www.virclub.com) and had a lot of fun!

One session, however, after heavy cornering and then acceleration, the car
sputtered out on me and acted as if it was not getting fuel.  I limped off
the track, opened the bonnet, acted like I knew what I was doing (I
didn't), closed the bonnet, and returned to the track without problems the
rest of the weekend.

This morning, however, a similar thing happened.  I warmed the car up, it
idled fine, took it out of the garage, and raced down the hill and up the
other hill.  However, it again acted as if it was not getting fuel.  I
coasted home and into the garage.  The car idles fine but dies under load
and acceleration.

The fuel tank and lines were replaced a year ago.

Any suggestions --- fuel pump, carburettor, fuel filter, ignition,
etc.????  How to diagnose???

I was _really_ looking forward to taking the TR6 to the SVRA events at VIR
this weekend.

Thanks,

Bob Sexton
sexton@starmark.net