TR7 BFH #8

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH #8
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 00:01:41 EDT
Parts, parts, and more parts!  Some of you have asked what all I'm replacing
on the engine.  Well, so far it's about $600 worth of stuff, categorized
below.  The rest of you, see if you think I've missed anything obvious.

at least a thousand cans of Gumout and engine degreasers...

Rod/main bearings .010

Newly turned crank

timing chain and tensioner

Gaskets for every part that has a gasket that I opened up.

clutch - including disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, throwout lever,
slipper pads, and that little plastic cap that holds the slave cylinder rod
in place. and also the clutch alignment tool.  also the flywheel pilot
bushing.

all three engine mounts, and some missing pieces for the rear mount including
the top spacer and tie rod from the engine.

new oil pump, new o-rings for oil transfer cap, o-ring for distributor,
o-ring and oil seal for speedometer gear in transmission.

new oil pressure sensor and backup warning switch on transmission which i
think i damaged when taking the engine/transmission out of the car.

new fan belts

new radiator hoses

used exhaust manifold with new bolts and gaskets.  i'm soaking the existing
bolts with PB Blaster for a couple of days before trying to take them off.

new bushings on the transmission external case

new water thermostat -- i'm curious to see if it even has one now because it
runs very cool all the time.

while i'm at it i am checking the shim clearance inside the rack/pinion
steering

and i have shied away from replacing the oil pump in the transmission.  it
hasn't given me any problems and i really don't want to open it up...

since i haven't started putting anything back together yet, and since i
probably should have known about Plastigauge, I'm going to take the
recommendation of Carl, one of the interested Internet observers, and go buy
a book on rebuilding engines to see what other tricks may be helpful.

I do want to point out that my Bentley manual on the TR7 has been a fabulous
guide so far -- 500 pages of good stuff if you don't have one.

Now, who lives in the Triangle and want to lend me a dial gauge?....

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC