Re: Halogen panel lights

To: <Chip19474@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Halogen panel lights
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 21:48:29 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
>In a message dated 10/13/00 5:31:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>jonmac@ndirect.co.uk writes:
>
><< Removed 30+ years
> of crud from inside the glasses and fitted new bulbs. Amazing difference! >>

Chip Krout replied:

>Absolutely.....although I didn't fit new bulbs, I did recently clean each
>glass lens - inside & out on the Spit instruments and it made a tremendous
>difference at night and also in daylight.....best of all - 30 years of glass
>grim came off with very little effort!

Are you saying you can actually *see* the fuel and temp gauges at night such
that you get
an instant and unequivocal reading in which there is absolutely no shadow of
doubt? If so,
something is wrong. If you insist on orginality, might I suggest you reduce the
power of
the bulbs in these units or paint them a grey colour? 'Stock' illumination
levels should
ideally be slightly the darker side of dim. If you get the impression the temp
gauge
needle is vertical - that's fine, and fuel level should give you *a vague
impression."
Bright speedo and tacho lighting is perfectly OK but the bordering instruments
(up to and
including a Mk 3) should ideally give you a vague hint they are there. Anything
more than
that - and you'll suffer severe eyestrain from instrument dazzle. There's
nothing wrong at
all with clean glasses - but clean and instantly visible auxiliary
instrumentation is a
real no-no.

Cheers
Jonmac