aluminum flywheel or not

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: aluminum flywheel or not
From: pbrzozoski@netscape.net
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:51:41 -0400
Hi,
What's the general opinion about using an aluminum flywheel on a stock TR6
engine?
I ask because I have an intermittent grinding noise when I start the car and
the fix may require a new ring gear. (It sounds like the starter is not fully
engaging or there are worn teeth on the ring gear).  The grinding noise
doesn't happen all the time, and when it does, it usually stops by the second
or third turn of the key and then the car starts fine.

Since I am going to be installing an OD tranny and all the magic cluch parts
this winter, I thought I would also fix the start issue.
Therefore the question. If I need to replace my ring gear, should I go for
the extra money and get the aluminum flywheel with ring gear? (It's on sale
for $318 until Jan 2001).  The engine has 135,000 miles on it and is running
fine.  A ring job and valve work was done about two years ago because of some
oil consumption and smoking, but everything has been OK since then (about
6000 miles).

Thanks,
Phil
74 TR6s