Re: aluminum flywheel or not

Subject: Re: aluminum flywheel or not
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 17:17:32 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Phil :

IMO, an aluminum flywheel is a 'race only' part, not suitable for the
street.  The only advantage is that it _might_ shave a few hundredths of
a second off your 1/4-mile time, while the disadvantages are numerous
(rough idle, more difficult to engage clutch smoothly, more likely to
break, etc.)

I'd try changing the starter and solenoid first (sounds to me like the
solenoid is sticky or slow), and then put on a new, stock ring gear when
you have the trans out.

BTW, if you are talking about the flywheel from Jim Donato, the $318
does not include a ring gear ...

Randall