Re: New cars vs. old cars [fuzzy math]

To: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>, TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Re: New cars vs. old cars [fuzzy math]
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:46:34 -0400
Message text written by Steven Newell
>Then add the social engineering component -- Americans especially don't
consider
automobile purchases based on use-value. More of a sex and self image
thing, for
whatever incredibly complex reasons [or if it's all marketing mind-control,
maybe it's not all that complex].
<

That applies to many other things as well.  When I look at the fashions
that come and go I can't help but wonder just how comfortable that can be.

If we did do a use-value analysis there would be a whole bunch more mass
transit in the US.  No, you are right.  The car we drive is a part of the
image we project and the phobias to which we are subject.  Practicality
runs a distant third.

Dave