Re: New cars vs. old cars [fuzzy math]

To: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>, TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Re: New cars vs. old cars [fuzzy math]
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:46:36 -0400
Message text written by Steven Newell
>And since I drive a shiny black sports car older than I am, I don't have a
particularly strong position on the soapbox. <g> I don't even want to
mention my
winter SUV (quite manly with that winch, huge foglights and knobby
tires...).
Still, I'm going to boldly maintain that it would sure be cool to think
that I
was somehow doing my environment a favor by zipping around in my TR4*. ;-)
<

Consider this:  If you took the TR4 to the scrap yard and bought a Miata
then the land fill would be that much fuller, the polution you pointed out
would be generated, and you would be just another Miata driver.

But, If you, instead, did a ground up restoration on that TR4 there woudl
be far fewer parts in the land fill (only those parts you took aff and
replaced), the energy consumed and the polution generated in the
restoration process is much less than creating a Miata from scratch and
that much fuela nd polution would be saved.  And since you have already
rebuilt the engine it is running cleaner than it was (although not as clean
as a Miata would).  It can be argued that you are saving the planet by
driving the TR4!  So there!

Have a nice day.

Dave