Re: TR-4A: Solid rear axle seal and brake questions

To: "John Cowan" <jfcowan@pacbell.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR-4A: Solid rear axle seal and brake questions
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:18:44 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"

----- Original Message -----
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>

> Questions:
>
> 1. Might the diff oil hve washed out the grease around the wheel
> bearings?  Should I inject more grease? Is it possible to see it leak out
> if it's too full, as is the case with the front suspension?

It is possible that the gear lube leaked into and flushed the grease out of
the bearings. It is also possible for the gear lube to leak onto the brake
shoes. In my car, when the axle seal failed, a pool of gear lube ran down
the back of the brake backing plate and tire and onto the garage floor. When
I pulled the axle assembly, the bearing was full of gear lube.

> 2. What's the best way to clean up the brakes?

Brake cleaning solvent works fine.

> 3. Might I have harmed the brake cylinder or seals by actuating the
> emergency brake with the drum off?

You might have, but IMHO, no.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U with A type o/d since 1983
TR4 VSCDA Group 2 #58 now improved to mid pack
Highland Park, IL